Now, just because I signed up for a plumbing course does not mean I want to get maximum practise at home!!
But for some reason, this happened just last week, a few days after I fixed the choke problem on Sunday (see previous post) and one week into the plumbing course:
What is that sealant thing doing all over the place?? That came from a previous job more than a year ago, when after replacing the kitchen tap, a tiny leak (one drop by one drop) developed from the joints that is seen above, and I managed to seal it up only after several attempts (over a few days!!) of applying sealant!!! (Now on hindsight, and after fixing the problem shown in the photo above, what was really needed was to replace the entire bottle trap as probably the washers for the joints needed replacing).
Anyway, I asked the instructor during one of the practical sessions about the situation, and he says, “change a new washer and just push it back in”.
What the …!!? so simple only?
And I duly did it (buy a new bottle trap, ask the lady about fixing the problem, took the washer from the new bottle trap set) and VOILA!! PROBLEM SOLVED! 🙂
Actually, it was not quite as easy as it seems because in fact, the other bottle trap had also “dropped” down (but not completely; see the line on the white pipe). When both were pushed upwards, the grey drainage pipe along the wall came out from its joint (see picture above of the grey vertical pipe along the wall) i.e. I pushed the bottle traps too high up.
After the plumbing course and having learn some tips to do the job, I shall replace the whole set up, as the bottle trap on the left (with the sealant) cannot be unscrewed now for clearing, and the joints are old and likely to have been “damaged” due to the use of solvents and hot water to clear the recent choking problem (and btw, my instructor also says don’t use those solvents, as it causes damage to the pipes and joints :O )